Atkins Stuffed Baked Mushrooms
Mushrooms make a great low-carb appetizer.
This scrumptious appetizer is acceptable for all four phases of the Atkins plan.
Baked Stuffed Mushrooms
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 24 large fresh white mushrooms, cleaned (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 1/2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons), divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oven to 400F. Remove stems from mushrooms, finely chop stems to equal 1/2 cup (reserve the rest for another use). Place mushroom caps in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of oil. Arrange caps, gills up, on a shallow baking pan.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a small skillet set over medium heat. Add sausage, scallions, garlic, Italian seasoning, and chopped mushroom stems. Cook, stirring and breaking sausage into smaller pieces until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; stir just until cheeses melt.
3. Stuff mushroom caps with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Bake until cheese has melted and mushrooms are tender’ 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Net Carbs: 1g
Recipe used with permission from Atkins Nutritionals.